hello, your friendly awkward blogger here!
today i’m going to talk you through what make up i used to create a very festive look, perfect for any holiday party or christmas date or any day you feel like looking fancy this holiday season! however, here’s a little disclaimer to say that i am no beauty expert, & i don’t really use high-end make up. i mostly use drugstore make up, or make up items i’ve been gifted. so yeah, not a professional in any sense, don’t have the money for fancy make up, & i don’t really know what i’m doing. but, this has been requested on several occasions, so i thought i’d try to do my best with what i’ve got. i really hope you enjoy!
let’s get started!
- so my first step in my getting ready process is always to just pull my hair up into a pony tail & clean my face. depending on the condition of my skin, i will either use a cleansing wipe or a facial cleanser.
- i then moisturize my face. i have combination skin, but what i mean by that is that depending on the weather & the seasons, it’s either a little oily, or extremely dry. so during the summer, i have to use a moisturizer that contains salicylic acid in it (& is oil free) to keep my skin from getting to greasy during the day. but, now that it’s winter, my skin is super duper dry! which means i actually have to change a lot about my routine. but as far as moisturizer goes, i just look for moisturizers that provide hydration while still feeling lightweight. i’m currently loving Olay Active Botanicals Moisturizing Day Lotion.
- next up is my foundation! my mother gave me this foundation, & i’ve been loving it so far. it’s the Loreal Paris Age Perfect makeup, in the shade Soft Ivory. like i said before, this season my skin is very dry & very dehydrated. during the summer i use more of a water based foundation that is very lightweight, but during the winter i need something with a little thicker of a formula. this foundation is very creamy & yet doesn’t feel heavy on the skin. it’s got great coverage, & this shade suits my skin during the winter, when i’m a little paler. however, i think they’ve discontinued it! i only use it in the winter months, so when i run out it looks like i’ll have to find a dupe for it. i just apply this foundation all over my face & into my neck area, blending well.
- after my foundation, i use Loreal Infallible Pro-Matte Powder in the shade Porcelain. i love this face powder. i was introduced to it by my friend Paige, & ever since i can’t stop using it. it really helps set the foundation i’m using, since the foundation is rather dewy, & this powder is a brilliant long lasting matte. i use my Beauty 360 Bamboo Powder Brush to apply this everywhere i previously applied foundation.
- next, i use this Physicians Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls in the shade Light Bronze Pearl. now, this powder is absolutely gorgeous. i think it’s kind of a it’s a mix between a highlighter & bronzer. since i get very pale in the winter, i apply it very lightly across my face where the sun would hit to give me a little bit of a bronze-y glow. i’m sure if you got the darker shades (i get the light shade) & used it very heavily, you could use it as a bronzer, but i apply it very lightly so i just use it as powder to go over my face powder. i definitely suggest using a separate brush & not the brush they provide to apply it, but i suggest that with almost every powder. that will give you the best color pay off. & just so ya know, this product is on the pricier side, but it lasts forever, at least the way i use it. so it’s really worth getting!
- i forgot to take a photo of the bronzer i use, but honestly i’m embarrassed cause i totally use cheapy bronzer! i just use a contour brush & lightly apply it under my cheekbones & under/along my jawline. & as i stated above, this whole makeup look was inspired by the elf eyeshadow palette i just bought. i love Elf Cosmetics, because it agrees with my college student budget while still being excellent quality! after i applied bronzer, i used Elf’s Baked Blush in the shade peachy cheeky. i wanted to buy the shade passion pink, because it suits my skin tone more, but they were out of stock the last time i went shopping. this shade is still truly lovely. i don’t usually apply blush anyway, only on special occasions, but since i was attempting to be fancy today, i used a fluffy blush brush to apply this lightly to the apples of my cheeks.
- next, i use Elf’s Hydrating Under Eye Primer … but nooot exactly how you’re supposed to. i used to use it under my eyes, but i didn’t really enjoy the way it reacted with my foundation. so now i’ve been using it as a primer on my eyelids. because i used a baked eyeshadow palette, it works a lot better if you apply it on a wet base or wet your brush before applying it. using this primer & then applying the eyeshadow while it’s still drying not only increasing the gorgeous pigment, but also helps it stay on all day long!
- time to talk eyeshadow! like i mentioned at the top of the post, this is really where a lot of my inspiration came from! i’ve been using the Elf Studio Baked Eyeshadow Palette (California #85131). these shadows are very shimmery & metallic. the individual shadows don’t have names that i can see, but i use the lightest shade as a base, a golden bronze from the bottom row on the middle of my eyelid, & a darker dustier bronze / brown shade in the outer corner of my eyelid. i didn’t go too heavy, because i’m going to be doing a statement red lip, but i was going for a very bronzey, festive, tinsel & gold inspired eyeshadow look.
- next goes the eyeliner! i use the Maybelline Line Stiletto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner in the color Blackest Black. now, i’ve been doing a cat eye since the end of 10th grade. i never used to wear makeup, but one day i just started experimenting with eyeliner for fun (pretty sure i was just bored, & my older sister had given me some eyeliner) & i liked the way it looked. a cat eye takes real practice. people are always asking me how i do it, & honestly, after more than 4 years of doing a cat eye, you just kind of could do it in your sleep. & yet, you still have days where one eye looks great & the other looks horrid. i’ve been using this eyeliner for about 2 years? i’ve gone between gel liner, liquid liner, felt tip liner, & pencil liner, but i think liquid is my favorite. it took me a while to find an applicator i really liked, but this one does the job for me. it’s definitely a longer applicator, so it takes practice & precision, but once you get the hang of it, the formula is great. it’s got a lovely rich black pigment, & once it dries it stays well. i just do a cat eye over my eyeshadow on both eyes, & hope it looks okay!
- then i apply my mascara. i found the NYC New York Color Big Bold Curl Mascara in Extreme Black a few years ago, & now i can’t live without it. it’s miraculous, & so darn cheap! the brush, i will warn you, is huge, but that’s what i love about it. it claims to give you 12x more voluminous lashes & 99% more curl & lift… which is quite the promise. but i can at least say that it has really worked for me. i already have really long, thick, dark, & curled lashes (thanks dad!) naturally, which is a blessing, but this mascara just adds so much for me. the formula is great, & you almost only need one swipe of the stuff & you’re good to go. beautiful lashes for nothing at all!
- & again, as pictured above, i used the Covergirl Star Wars, The Force Awakens lipstick. now, if you know a thing or two about me, you know that i love Star Wars & the new movie is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. slight exaggeration, but not really. i honestly have grown up on Star Wars & it’s always been my favorite! so i was really stoked when Covergirl released a make up line for us geeks. I have 3 of the lipsticks so far, but for this festive look I choose the Red 30 color. unfortunately they didn’t name the lipstick colors (missed opportunity in my opinion), so i came up with my own. & this one is, duh, darth maul. (could also be Red Leader, but i feel like no normal citizen would pick up that reference). this is a very pigmented shade, so if you have a lipliner, you might wanna use it! also, i just make sure & moisturize & exfoliate my lips regularly, so that applying lipstick is seamless.
& that’s all folks! insert awkward selfie to display finished make up look here:
i’m awful at taking pictures of myself, this is really cringe worthy, but here is the final look! the lighting was pretty bad so unfortunately i look a little strange, but i promise it turned out a-ok. i also curled my hair & put on a red plaid dress, & sparkly crystal earrings for extra festive-ness!
i hope you all enjoyed this post, & some of your questions have been answered about what products i use. if anyone wanted to know anything else, feel free to ask any questions below in the comments section & i’ll get back to you speedy quick. i hope these holiday inspired blog posts have been fun for you guys! keep coming back, cause we have a couple more to go!
see you tomorrow, & have a happy holiday season.
hugs & love,